Yesterday was mutual. For those of you that don't know what that is, it is the night of a weekly activity for the Young Men and Young Women (12-18 years old) of our church. Since I'm a leader, I have the opportunity to go to these activities as well. Anyway, this particular activity was combined with all the young men and young women and the young men were in charge.
We had a Summer BBQ. We ate, played kickball, and water balloon volleyball. I think the youth had a lot of fun. The BBQ was nice, all things considered. :) We had hotdogs and hamburgers of course, and they had every topping for a good hamburger except...miracle whip. I have to say I am a miracle whip fan. When it comes to hamburgers I'll even settle for mayonnaise if that's what there is. I'm not overly picky though, I'll still eat the hamburger if there ISN'T miracle whip. What cracked me up was when I was getting my hamburger bun, thinking, man, NO miracle whip...oh well, and one of the young men was getting his hamburger bun ready and the first thing out of his mouth was, "There's no miracle whip..."
So, I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but the hamburger buns were the kind that soaked up all the ketchup and mustard and turned into a soggy mush. I am not a soggy mush person, so this grossed me out and finished eating my hamburger with a knife and fork.
The other funny thing about the food, was the Young Men asked the Young Women to bring a salad or dessert. I was sure that if the Young Women remembered they would all bring dessert, so I took a pasta salad. Apparently all the other Young Women leaders thought the same thing because 5 of us out of 7 brought salads, and two brought dessert. We had a lot of salads! That would have been fine, but three of them were almost identical! (Mine was one of those.) Well, only one young woman remembered and she brought brownies.
I got a kick out of the whole salad thing though. Then what made me chuckle even more was when one of the leaders was telling the other leader how wonderful her salad was and it tasted identical to two of the other salads. Even more funny was that out of the youth that were there...maybe one or two even got any salad at all. So, yeah, I had a LOT of salad left when I got home!
No comments:
Post a Comment