Monday, July 14, 2008

Camp songs and chants

So, I am in charge of doing the camp songs and chants this year at YW camp, since, as our camp director put it "I know the songs." So, I have really had to rack my brain trying to remember songs that I haven't sung for about 12 years. I have been researching it a little on the internet, and that has been fun, but what I have found most intriguing, is one of my favorite chants has different words than ANYWHERE I have looked. Maybe it was just unique to my ward.

Anyway, it's called Alligator. The repeating part is the same as everyone elses version, but the nonrepeating part isn't.

Alligator

Alligator! Alligator! Can be your friend, can be your friend, can be your friend too!
The alligator is my friend. You can see him in the skyeyyyy! You can see him in my eye!

The alligator is my friend. You can see him in the treeeeee! You can see him on my knee.


This next one is a song that two Young Women taught me last year, and it's hilarious. It's sung to the same tune as "I'm a nut" which, I don't know if that's the original tune, but anyhoo! I guess I call this one Volkswagen...it's very similar to another song called pile of tin.

Volkswagen

I'm a little pile of tin
Got two doors and they dent in
Got a motor that keeps me rattlin
Can't go far cause I'm a volkswagen
Putt Putt, Rattle rattle rattle, Bumper draggin
Putt putt, rattle rattle rattle, bumper draggin
Putt putt, rattle rattle rattle, bumper draggin, Volkswagen.

Here is another repeat after me/action song. I'll put stars where you're supposed to repeat. I call it "Moosa Moosa"

Moosa Moosa

(move your arms to one side like you're shoveling something)
Humba! Humba!*
(now step on your tip toes, with hands in front of you like a kangaroo)
A tikki tikki tumba!*
(put hands on top of your head like a moose and flap them up and down)
A moosa moosa moosa!*
(put hand on side of one cheek and then the other like you're yelling to someone.)
Hey allaway allaway allawayah!*
-now repeat once loud and once quiet

I found a ton of other camp songs to sing as well, but these three seem to be unique.

No comments: