First off, don't worry, we're NOT moving anywhere!
I was sitting here looking at my cluttered house, and was thinking about all the stuff we have, now that we've lived in one location for three years. Three years! It's a record! We have never before lived anywhere for three years!
We have never had to worry about getting rid of stuff before. This is purely because when you move every year, you become very adept at getting rid of things you don't really need. If you've only moved once or twice, you haven't experienced this yet. We realized this when we helped Shane's sister move twice. They had a ton of stuff! Okay, it's beyond a ton, I can't even think of the word to describe how much stuff they had...they could've opened their own "Somebody's Attic" store...seriously...We were looking at it going, C'mon, do you really need to move that? You're sure?
We have moved so many times that the mere thought of packing stuff makes me feel somewhat nauseous. Then when the big day comes, you have stuff that isn't packed yet, you look at it and think, eh, I don't really need that, I never use it... The boxes you haven't opened for a year? Gone. If I don't know what it is, I won't miss it right?
Anyway, we have reached a point where we really need to de-junk our home...that or get a storage unit...which for some reason Shane is VERY strongly against. It has been quite a process. Shane and I both hail from packrat genes, so, it is in our blood. That is my only excuse!
So, I started on the de-junk mission. This has equaled a very messy house, but like most things, it looks worse before it looks better right? Shane has worse packrat genes than I do though. I get frustrated and start getting rid of anything that I haven't used in the past 6 months. Then when I get a nice pile of stuff that is D.I. designated, Shane will come along and look at it and go, "We could do this and this with it, or hey, what about this and this??" (Yes, I am exaggerating! Shane has been very good about our whole de-junking endeavor....course, we haven't started on his stuff yet, but he did get rid of two pairs of shoes that he hasn't worn for over a year, so it's a start!)
*sigh*
Slowly but surely, we will get the job done!...or, maybe we'll just move...(I'm KIDDING!!)
2 comments:
there are definitely perks of moving...too bad I don't always take advantage of them. ;-) I seriously recommend the FlyLady system at FlyLady.net. She's great and I feel much less guilty about getting rid of things (especially with a DI close here) after I've read her stuff. It's all free and you could get lost for a while reading all the things she's got online. :-) Now I need to implement her ideas since we will be moving again in less than 3 weeks...yuck!
Thanks for telling me about FlyLady! I can't believe I haven't heard about it until now...well, okay, I can, but I am definitley going to use it!
Post a Comment