I've been thinking about this a lot recently. It's so easy sometimes to get caught up in the "don't haves" of life...especially when those don't haves include dreams that have sometimes been forcefully taken away from you.
Then, those dreams, while seemingly crushed out of your control, are given to someone else and you are supposed to smile and be happy for them. It can be extremely hard. It's hard to take that high road. It's hard to remember that you are where you are for a reason (at least we are) and having faith is a difficult road sometimes, knowing, and trusting, that God has a better way for you than you even envision for yourself.
I watched the movie "17 Miracles" the other day. What an amazing movie, and story, and history. I cried. Again! This isn't the first time I've seen this movie.
The thing that hit me so hard, a couple days later, was that the people in that history were determined and vigilant in their faith. They had dreams and hopes. They had desires and goals. The main goal for them at that time was to reach Zion. Some of them didn't make it. Some of them died along the way. Some of them had difficulties after they made it, but for those that made it, their faith grew in ways that are unimaginable.
Now, is my life so difficult? Are we starving? Are we getting frostbite pulling and pushing a handcart in the snow? No.
My handcart is different. My handcart has been miscarriages, lost jobs, moving, small homes, lost dreams, medical bills, incomplete college degrees, and so many various other trials and hardships.
Through it all, I can see the blessings, the gifts, the tender mercies, the miracles.
It has built my faith and made it stronger. So, even now, when there are times when my heart wants to break, I remind myself that my faith is in God and he guides my path, even when that path seems to go up over a mountain ridge in a blizzard, I know there will be angels to guide and help, and there will be blessings and joy on the journey and waiting on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment