It's been an interesting spring. Remember when I wrote about how my son is in the local youth chamber orchestra and how I missed playing? Then I wrote about how much I have enjoyed playing my cello lately...
Anyway, the youth chamber orchestra usually has a "specialist" for each section of strings. Imagine my surprise and outright shock when they called me and asked me if I would like to be the cello string specialist for the chamber orchestra. I seriously had no words! I told them that I wasn't as good as the previous cello specialist, and they told me that was ok. So, after a discussion with Shane (who literally was looking at me like, "why are we discussing this, and why aren't you on the phone telling them that you'll do it?!") So, of course I accepted.
I admit a huge part of me keeps wondering when they will figure it out and realize they made a mistake in asking me.
I guess that's one of my biggest issues. Feeling like people are always thinking I play terrible. I know they don't. I know that unless I play a squeaky high note, most people are just amazed that I play an instrument and think it's super cool!
So, playing with that group has been really fun.
Then I have my two cello students (yep, you read that right, TWO) and honestly I am ok that there are just two. It's been an adventure since one of them is young. Nine years old. And that has been really interesting. Who knew that my primary teaching skills would come in handy teaching a nine year old?! Not me.
Add to that my part time library job which I love, and 98% of the time my music doesn't even interfere with it.
Plus a spring concert with the local community orchestra which I also play in, and rehearsals for that, and they are playing some difficult music...as in, I haven't played music this difficult since I was in college, so that has been an adventure!
Plus kids, school, preschool, and everything else.
Equals a very packed schedule. At least what feels like one to me. It's an enjoyable busy though. Not a stressful one most of the time, and that is the key ingredient right?
An added bonus is that playing the cello is good physical therapy for my hands, and that is definitely a great thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment