Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Back to the ELC

ELC means Early Learning Center. Back when Hazel turned three I had her evaluated because she wouldn't talk. She wouldn't talk to the point where she'd get mad and frustrated because we couldn't understand her. She also struggled with large motor skills, playing with others, and learning. I was so glad she qualified (which is easy to do when you refuse to answer the evaluator's questions. I remember her just sitting there with a blank look on her face...). Once she was in the program she only qualified of for about six months and then she had caught up to her age level. We kept her in the program as a mainstream student, but then it was like any other preschool where you have to pay. Still, it was good for her.

Well, now it is Jeffrey's turn. Jeffrey struggles with his speech, like Hazel, except his is more in articulation. It is very difficult to understand him when he speaks a lot of the time. There are some phrases that you can understand, but otherwise...no. Jeffrey, unlike my other children, is extremely strong willed. I used to think I knew what strong willed kids were like, because my other kids definitely have their stubborn streak, but Jeffrey is strong willed to the point of defiance. If it isn't his choice to do something, there is NO WAY he will do it. NO WAY. If you try to force him, it is BAD NEWS and he will have a complete meltdown.

This has made it almost impossible to have him potty trained. He doesn't like to model behaviors, or repeat, or copy, which are all things that little kids do to help them learn emotion, and how to react to things. He doesn't like it when I try to teach him things or point out shapes or colors or clouds or nature or anything. It is very difficult to get him to cooperate.

When Jeffrey was tested, Shane went with me. I was glad about this because Jeffrey didn't want to go with the evaluator. At first Shane asked him, would you like to go if I go with you? Of course he said, No. I told Shane that we needed to give him acceptable options. (Love and Logic has taught me something...and works the best when trying to deal with Jeffrey, but not all the time.) So, instead, I asked Jeffrey if he wanted walk with daddy or if he wanted daddy to carry him. Two acceptable choices, but either way, he was going to go get evaluated. He chose to have Shane carry him.

Shane told me afterward that Jeffrey was actually doing really well when he was being tested, but that he only lasted through about half of the first test before he had a complete meltdown. What you have to remember is that this is a preschool program that specializes in early intervention and teaching kids with special needs, so they see behaviors of all kinds of kids all the time.

Anyway, since he only made it through half of the test, and because of the other issues he has, he qualified for the program. I think an important thing in teaching Jeffrey will be to help him realize that even if people are telling him things that he needs to do, like asking what is on a picture, he is still in control. It is okay. I am hoping that this will help him so that when he is old enough to be in kindergarten he will be able to go and not have it be a difficult experience for him.

So, we will get called to set up an IEP (individualized education plan) sometime in the next week, and then Jeffrey will start preschool after that. I am excited for him because I think it will be really helpful for him to have help working on these things. I am also hoping that by being with other young kids that he will want to start potty training because he will be with kids who are potty trained. I guess we'll see!

No comments: