Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sobering

I found out a few years ago that one of my classmates from high school had his leg amputated to the knee because of cancer. I worked at a hospital at the time and found out the information from his brother, whom I occasionally worked with in the operating room.

I remember at the time feeling sad for him because my memories of him in high school were of him being an amazing athlete in basketball and track and field.

Then about a month ago I found out that he'd had to have his whole leg amputated, and then that he kept getting tumors in his lungs and shoulders.

He's decided to try an alternative treatment since chemotherapy hasn't helped. Insurance won't cover the cost so they've set up a donation fund for him and his family. You can check it out here:

http://pledgie.com/campaigns/20826for


Click here to lend your support to: Curtis Pugsley Cancer Assist Fund and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !


It's very sobering for me to find out when my classmates have health issues like this. It gives me a reality check on my own life.

Does it really matter that my flowers are dying? No.

I remember what one of my neighbors, who ended up dying because of cancer, told us... Everyone talks about living like you're dying... but that's just baloney. I just want to watch my sons grow up. That's the most important thing, to be there for my kids.

I think of this and of my classmate, and my heart aches for his family. I hope this alternative treatment helps him so he can live to see his kids grow up.

No comments: