I discovered something yesterday, as I was helping Shane with his Elder's Quorum party. I am beginning to get old. Not OLD old, but closer to 50 than I am to 20. THAT makes me feel OLD. Also, the realization that out of all the people that came to the party, Shane and I were some of the oldest. There was maybe one other family that was older.
The odd thing is that I still have a hard time seeing myself being the age of adults. I watch tv shows and it has to take a minute to hit me that I'm the same age as the characters in the show. I definitely don't feel old enough to have a son who is almost old enough to be a teenager!
I go to church and because of where we live...there are either older couples with grown children, or younger couples with small children. We are either years younger than the couples with teenagers, or years older than the couples with elementary kids.
It doesn't bother me, I mean, I like to think that we relate well to lots of different people, but other people seem to have a hard time relating to me. It makes me think about things a lot sometimes, and how I can be better and improve myself, so people CAN relate to me.
2 comments:
I know just how you feel. We married at 30/31 and were still raising young children while others our age were beginning to be grandparents. We always felt out of step. But it's okay, after a long time we realize that there are others who are also "out of step" for whatever reason. We press forward with faith and enjoy our stage of life. It was helpful when my husband was invited to meet with the High Priests where he fit age wise. In our little branch here in Iowa the acting President of the Elder's Quorum is 75 yo! Keep a sense of humor and cultivate a servants heart. Keep up the good work.
I constantly have this feeling that I'm too young to be a responsible adult with children. When watching the first season of The Jetsons a few weeks ago I found out she was supposed to be my age of 33. Yeah right I've got that older mature woman feeling to send out. I do enjoy being called Miss in the store when I get out by myself sans-kids. ;-)
Post a Comment