Monday, April 1, 2013

Where I'm At

So, an update on my yelling goal. After my, "I yelled" post, I took a few days off and didn't worry about it. I just let things go, just so I could regroup, and also so I could pay attention and notice what things made me angry.

I did notice a few things... I am a perfectionist, so I want it to be 100% yell free, but I began to realize that there are different levels of tone, and that really, even though I had yelled that one day, it wasn't an all out anger fest. I have decided that is when I am so upset that I start throwing things into the sink or dishwasher.

A good mini goal, I think, is to notice and pay attention and not let my frustration get to that level, and to start  my calming down techniques before it gets to that point.

I did have a good moment today. Today was a somewhat frustrating day. My 12 year old was being hormonal and not focusing and not thinking really, and I found myself calming myself down and really thinking before I said things to him, and thinking through the things I wanted to say, because they weren't very nice, and finding better, nicer things to say.

It was a good moment and actually motivated me to be calmer and nicer as the day progressed.

No comments: