Thursday, March 21, 2013

Goal #2

At the beginning of the year I had one goal that I wrote down... be more positive and grateful. I think I've been doing pretty good. Even on the days that are hard, even in the times that are down, I've been able to see the silver lining and look at the positive side. That doesn't mean I don't see the negative, because it is a constant thing that I battle, but seeing the bright side is a lot easier to do than it used to be.

Well, now I am going to add a second goal. I came to this point after being led to a blog called the orange rhino challenge. I added it to my blog list I was so impressed with this lady. She saw a parenting problem that she had and decided it needed to change. Reading her blog has inspired me to work on the same, because I want to be the same kind of parent. I want to be a patient and kind parent, that teaches my kids to be patient and kind.

So, goal number two for this year is: don't yell at my kids for 30 days. This is my goal. Part of this goal is figuring out what triggers me to be angry... tired, messy house, toys everywhere, whatever, I am going to figure it out so I can figure out techniques to prevent the yelling. My hope in doing this is to be a better example to my kids. To show them that if I can do it, they can too. I find when I am calmer, even when my kids are doing things that really really really make me want to yell at them, they are calmer too. They are more likely to listen, and my big hope is that I will teach them how to parent with patience.

I know this will be a challenge, especially since my 18 month old is in that defiant, I am independent so stop helping me and lets see how much I can get away with stage...but still, I know it is doable, because I know other people do it! If others do it, I can too!

I put 30 days because I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to make a habit. Once the habit is in place, I can lengthen my goal to two months, then three, etc... until I become a parent that doesn't yell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!

That is a very difficult, but worthwhile goal, in my experience. Don't get discouraged when you do lose it, or wear yourself out in built-up frustration; just renew your determination, apologize to everyone, and keep trying.

Remember to take breaks as much as possible (put yourself in time-out and PRAY for a few seconds whenever you can).

You can do it! And the payoffs are so worth the hard work!

Love,Tiffany (Kala's SIL)