Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chances

I think I have written on here in times past about how at times I wish I had tried harder to not have a c-section with Harrison or Hazel. Of course, you never really know what would have happened, and with Emmett every time a nurse would try to check to see if I had dilated they would comment on how narrow my  pelvis was. Not just one nurse...EVERY nurse. So, realistically, I probably would have ended up with c-sections anyway.

Still, sometimes people wonder if they should try and have a VBAC. Some people are good candidates, others aren't. I would fall in the second category, although my doctor that I had with Hazel really encouraged me to try a VBAC instead of just opting for a c-section.

Once I had two, and then three, it was a given that unless I delivered outside of a hospital, I would have to have a c-section. When I was pregnant with Jeffrey, I seriously debated the pros and cons of trying to deliver vaginally versus just having a c-section, and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

With Emmett, when I had my c-section, it was a really good thing I didn't go into full-blown labor because my doctor found a thin spot on the previous scar. When he told me that, I wondered if Emmett would be the last, and if I should start to mentally prepare myself for the other surgeries I knew I would eventually have to have.

So, the next day I asked him what it meant exactly... he told me that it didn't change anything in regards to having more kids, although it would be good to wait at least a year before getting pregnant again. What it did mean was that it was good that I didn't go into actual labor because the risk of my uterus rupturing went up higher.

Because I have to have c-sections I am so glad that I have a doctor who excels at doing surgery. Even this time around, the c-section time was around the short time for a good surgeon, and that was because he was training one of his employees to assist on a c-section. It was about 30 minutes. Otherwise, it probably would have been 15 minutes like Jeffrey's was. :)

No comments: