Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rude Awakening...

So, my daughter got a cold and had to miss some school last week. She kept complaining that her tongue hurt, so we looked at it, and indeed she had a few canker sores.

I guess I've been distracted racing after a one year old, and growing a baby or something... and wrongly assuming that my children were actually brushing their teeth when I told them to brush their teeth... they're 8 and 12, I didn't think I needed to babysit them on this...

Well, in the process of caring for Hazel, I realized her breath was...well, just not good. On closer inspection I realized that her teeth needed to be brushed. So, we went in and I brushed her teeth. This was quite the experience. After which I realized that she probably had gingivitis, and hopefully that was it.

So, I made her rinse with listerine, brushed her teeth again, and then I took the kids to school. After going through the same thing that evening, and the next morning, we called our dentist and got a prescription strength mouthwash for her to use, and also a reminder to call them on Thursday and let them know how she was doing.

Things have mostly improved, but it will be interesting to see what the dentist says tomorrow, because I don't know that it's improved ENOUGH to not be concerned, especially on one back area of her mouth. I hate it because I feel like I am torturing her, when at the same time I also know that I am barely using any pressure at all.

So, who knows, we might be headed to the dentist tomorrow!

No comments: