So, it seems like everyone everywhere is very grateful this November. :) It's a good thing, and definitely something people should do all the time. I've been thinking in my mind what I've been grateful for instead of writing about it much.
However, this weekend gave me many things to be grateful for, so I thought I would share.
First, I am grateful for modern medicine. Take Sunday morning at 4 am for example... I am all for trying homeopathic things to help my family be healthy. However, modern medicine, in my mind, has it's place too, and we definitely utilized it.
Hazel's insignificant cough that I'd been treating with essential oils, turned into a violent croup attack Sunday morning. I knew as soon as I heard her that we were headed to the hospital. While we do have a nebulizer because our kids would get croup on a regular basis when they were younger, ever since I started using essential oils, they had stopped getting croup. So, consequently, we didn't have any breathing treatments for our nebulizer, which was fine, because any medicine we would have had would have been extremely expired anyway since it's been so long.
So, they gave her a breathing treatment, and an oral dose of steroids, observed her for twenty minutes, and we were on our way. I was grateful it was just croup. I say that because we were all exposed to someone who had been diagnosed with whooping cough, and there was always that niggling in the mind that it could be that too...even though we've all been immunized... (a little side note that I just learned... if you ARE exposed to someone with whooping cough, you are supposed to go on some antibiotics as a preventive measure, even if you've been immunized.) So, like I said, we were very glad it was "just" croup.
She's doing much better.
Then, a few hours later, I headed downstairs to wake up Harrison, and tripped/slipped down the stairs. I banged up the left side of my body pretty good. My left arm is all nice and black and blue, and there are a few other bruises here and there. After talking to the OB on call, we decided it was worth it, just to be safe, to get checked at the hospital. So, off we went, to a different hospital (one where my OB actually delivers at) and had the baby monitored for a while, and everything checked out just fine. The nurse made sure to tell me that she was glad I had come in, and that it was worth it, to make sure that the baby was moving all right, and that nothing was going on with the placenta or anything.
The whole time I was thinking, "No babies born today! You are too little!" And I kept thinking how grateful I was that I didn't break any bones, that the baby was fine, I was sore but fine, and everything was going to be okay.
Lots of things to be grateful about. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment