Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have kids that never got in trouble at school. Has teaching changed so much? I don't remember ever getting in trouble. Of course, when I went to elementary school we never had homework either.
I know that other people have to feel this frustration. I always look at the other kids and wonder why my kids can't behave that way. Well, sometimes anyway. Why is it my kid that has to be the one who gets distracted by the bug crawling on the window, or the kid at their table who won't be quiet? I try to read up on this and know what to do, but nothing seems to help.
I had hopes that being taught a different method of teaching would be helpful to Hazel, and it is, but maybe not enough. I hate talking to the teacher and creating goals. I hate having to get the principal involved. I just want, for once, to have my kids to not need any type of intervention.
I dealt with it with Harrison until I caved and put him on medication. Yes it was necessary but that doesn't mean I liked it, and I fought it until there really was no other option that I felt was viable. Hazel is different. Hazel gets distracted. Hazel can't stay focused. Hazel is a happy child that is sensitive and gets along with most kids, but she struggles to get her work done.
So, of course today happens. I wonder if her teacher can handle this. I know Hazel is not technically considered a "problem" student, but she has learning needs just like other kids with learning problems. Not being able to focus and pay attention, are definitely problems! Medicating Hazel to me, is NOT an option at this point. I KNOW she can focus, I just need to figure out how to get her to learn how to do it. Is that mean of me?
So now I need to talk to her teacher. This is hard and emotionally difficult in the best of times, but now it is going to be especially hard since I cry at the drop of a hat and tend to be a total basketcase because I am pregnant. I emailed her my concerns, and she responded, but I wasn't very impressed with her reply. She didn't seem to appreciate what I had related in my e-mail to her or the solution that we had come up with last year to help Hazel focus. I know, it's an E-MAIL and I'm willing to concede that I'm reading into things that the teacher didn't mean or imply but that I'm reading into because I'm pretty emotional right now.
So, yay me. I guess we get to talk to Hazel's teacher tomorrow. *sigh* And then, if I don't feel like it's satisfactory, we get to involve the principal. *joy* I just LOVE doing this. LOVE. IT. And if you can't tell my sarcasm by the capitalized letters, well, just know that I would rather do dishes than do this, and if you know me at all, doing dishes is like worse than having my teeth worked on.
2 comments:
It IS worse now than when we were younger -- so much harder for kids with any kind of quirks. Every time I talk to a teacher, I feel like my kids are the only ones causing any problems, and I should fix it (and I know that's not true). And I ache for my poor kids who have to spend all day with a teacher and kids who don't want to be around them. Keep praying! I hope things go better for Hazel, soon!
So Sorry. Good Luck! I definately agree that its so much harder for kids these days...Hang in there...It's better now than later:)
Post a Comment