We went camping this weekend. I have been camping many times during my life, and apparently, my parents taught me well or I learned really quickly (probably a combination of the two), because I enjoy camping, and usually have fun.
Some of my most enjoyable camping experiences happen when it's colder and sometimes wet. I like having to actually have to use a sleeping bag and wear a sweatshirt, versus say feeling like my skin is going to melt off my body.
Anyway, I always find it interesting when we go camping and people aren't prepared. I'm not talking about the things you forget, even if you have a list. I am talking about things that you should ALWAYS take camping.
So, since people seem to have a hard time with this, and since camping seems to be pretty popular right now since it's cheap and gas prices are so high, here are some tips.
1. Look at the weather report and use it as a guide, not an absolute. If it says it's going to be rainy, plan for rain, or don't go. If it says it's going to be sunny, plan for sun, and also rain, because you never know what is going to happen when you are camping.
2. If you are camping in the mountains, plan accordingly. Unless the mountains are not very high, it is most likely going to get chilly at night and in the evening/morning. It you are farther south this may not be the case, but otherwise...take a jacket, and a coat. I don't care how brave you are...hypothermia doesn't care either. The worst thing that will happen is you brought something you didn't need. If you don't take it, and you need it or want it, you will always wish you had it, and be miserable.
3. Bug spray, sunscreen, and aloe vera gel...take them.
4. Always always always take more clothes than you need. You don't need to pack your whole wardrobe, but if you are going for 4 days pack five short sleeved shirts, maybe six. Pack 2-3 long sleeved shirts, preferably ones that can be worn in layers. Pack a sun hat. You are going to be outdoors the whole day, every day you are there. Pack at least three pairs of pants. If it's going to be warm, and you like wearing shorts you may only need 2. Pack 2-4 pairs of shorts. Pack two extra pairs of socks than you need. At least two, maybe three. Pack one or two sweatshirts/hoodies. Pack a JACKET. Pack a COAT. (I know, I already said that, but you would not believe how many times I have been camping and people are miserable because they are cold! If you are not cold, camping is fun.
I pack more clothes for my kids than I would for me because kids go through clothes, especially babies. Nothing is more miserable than having kids that are cold. Don't assume that a blanket/sleeping bag will suffice, because it won't. It is not uncommon for me to pack a few pairs of warm weather pajamas, and cold weather pajamas. Then, no matter the weather, you are comfortable. If you pack this way for your kids, they will be comfortable too.
I know it probably sounds excessive, but I have never regretted being prepared this way, and my husband packs the same way!
No comments:
Post a Comment