Monday, February 13, 2012

A Different Adventure

So, a new charter school was approved for our area. I have always liked the idea of a charter school because I feel like there are things that can be done at a charter school that can't be done at a district school even though it is technically still a "public school."

Anyway, I put Harrison and Hazel on the list and then waited for the time when they would do the lottery drawing to see if they got in.

Well...they BOTH got in!

I was very happy about this. It is a K-8 school, and I think the style of learning there will be very beneficial to Harrison, and maybe Hazel. Hazel...well...we will see what happens. Both of my kids tend to be thinkers. They are exceptionally smart and I don't think they are very challenged with the school work they are given. They are both above grade level in every area. I think the type of teaching style at this school will be more suited to their needs in learning. So, we will see what it is like!

If it is something they both excel at there is also a charter high school fairly close that teaches in the same style of learning. Who knows really, maybe by that time a similar charter high school will be even closer to us.

The style of learning is called "expeditionary learning." One of the reasons why I am interested in this style of teaching/learning is that it teaches kids to be thinkers, which in today's world, I think is a very crucial thing. It also teaches them to think outside the box.

So, we will see. They will be required to wear school uniforms, which is also pretty typical with charter schools, and is also something that does not bother me.

We will be getting the information/registration packet pretty soon, and I must admit, I am excited to see it all play out.

No comments: