Monday, December 19, 2011

Take Two

Last night was the second performance of the Messiah. This year we performed it in a Catholic church. The people that go there I think tried really hard to make us feel welcome. Maybe that means they want us to come back next year? I don't know for sure but either way it was nice of them.

I took Harrison and Hazel with me and I thought they did really well. I made sure they both brought books that they like to read in case they got bored.

I think it was an interesting experience for them because they have never been in a church that wasn't of our religion. Not that it was extremely different but there were some differences.

The performance itself was interesting since we hadn't ever played there before and then the conductor threw in some songs that we hadn't rehearsed and I don't think any of us had played for years. That was pretty exciting...then add to that a soloist we had never rehearsed with...yeah.... that song did not go that well. I can honestly say it sounded pretty terrible. There was one point in the song that the organ was the only one playing and the conductor was quietly calling out rehearsal letters to us... you know it's bad when EVERYONE is lost. On the plus side the soloist just kept going and she did have a pretty voice. : )

So I have to say that our first performance was definitely better than this one. Still...there is nothing quite like hearing the Hallelujah chorus sung in full choir and symphony in a church setting and that song sounded AWESOME.

My kids got to experience a concert too, and I guess in a way that made it more worth it than anything.

No comments: