So, I am sure that many of you know who the Duggars are. If you don't, click on the link on my side bar and find out. :)
I have followed this family for a few years now. I have always been amazed at how well they do what they do. Most people think of them as just having lots of kids, and then they form an opinion based on that. This is usually....how DARE they, or WOW they are awesome! And yes, it is usually those two extremes.
I think this family is amazing not just because they have a very large family, but because of how they raise their family. Is their family perfect? No, of course not. They even admit they aren't perfect, but honestly, I have yet to read anyone who has actually met and gotten to know them ever say anything bad about them.
You can tell by their personalities that they are good people. They decided to have a large family and have as many kids as the Lord would give them, and they took responsibility for that. They have NO DEBT. How many of us can say that? They provide for their kids purely on their own income by making wise business choices and living frugally. Their children are well-mannered and their older kids are responsible adults who gain careers and give back to society.
So, yes, it really irritates me when people criticize them for what they do. Everything they do. They took their family on a vacation and you know where they went? To Guatemala to do service. I think that is great.
I was sad to find out that Michelle had miscarried her 20th baby. She is a wonderful mother and so mild mannered.
Of course, now everyone has to criticize how they handled the miscarriage. They act like it is bizarre and unusual for people to have a memorial service for a baby, or to take pictures. Really? REALLY? Why does this bother people? I saw the pictures and I thought they were tasteful and tender. Many people who have lost a baby this size have similar pictures. It provides closure. They even share them on their blogs. Since the Duggars did it though....they must be weird. Why? Does it make people uncomfortable to think of a baby that size as being a person?
Personally I think it was very considerate of them to share this experience with the outside world, knowing that there are many people thinking about them, and praying for them, just because they feel like they know their family. I'm sure they knew there would be criticism. There always has been.
I still think they are great people who are a very good example of how to be a successful family in today's world...and they aren't ashamed or afraid to stand up for what's right and good either.
1 comment:
I agree with you. They have made decisions about their life--and they take responsibility for those decisions. How many people nowadays can say that? I don't think I could ever live a life like that, but I love that we all have the freedom to pursue our different lives. And I love that they had a memorial for their lost baby.
Post a Comment