Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Now I Know the Truth...

I remember being a child and asking, probably begging my mom to buy me some play-dough at the store. Her response that I can remember was "It's too expensive..." This usually placated me and must have been something that I heard a lot in a seven kids family.

When I became a teenager with a job I realized that play-dough was actually pretty cheap, and I remember wondering why my mom had told me it was too expensive.

Now I know.

Play-dough is evil.

It gets in the carpet and doesn't come out. It seems to multiply and ends up everywhere no matter what. I am sure by the time I came along in the family lineup my mom knew better and play-dough was banned from the house!

Even though I think it is a fun thing to play with, we usually save it for camping, since if it falls it just gets on the ground and it doesn't matter so much if the kids make a mess.

So, I had to stifle a groan when my daughter came home from school and wanted to make homemade play-dough that her Sunday school teachers had so lovingly given her a recipe for at church yesterday.

I was battling the after effects of a migraine and the mere thought of making, and then dealing with play-dough was more than I could deal with so I told her (and I really did mean it) that we could make it on Tuesday. She was disappointed, but okay with it.

Then she went to the neighbors to play...and they made her some. *sigh*

2 comments:

darcymae said...

i hate play dough at my house too. but taking it camping is a good idea! never thought of that.

Kenzie said...

Playdough is only allowed in the kitchen at our house. Your mom is right. Playdough is too expensive because of the added cost of clean-up and time.