Sunday, July 24, 2011

Goulash

It is crazy to think that there is only one more week in July and then it will be August.

When I was growing up my parents always grew a huge garden. Well, it was huge to me. :)
So, the end of summer always reminds me of yummy things that my mom would always cook to eat from the fresh produce that would come from our garden.

I don't know why, but nothing tastes quite as good as fresh vegetables.

It isn't surprising to me that lately I have been craving one of the meals my mom would always make this time of year...zucchini goulash. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. :)

So, I am going to share the recipe with you, since I am craving it so badly, and have no zucchini to make it with...until I convince Shane to either buy some from the farmer's market, or go see if there is any in my parents' garden. :)

Zucchini Goulash

1 lb ground beef
zucchini
1-2 cans tomatoes (I like using diced Italian style)
onion
shredded cheese
crushed soda crackers

In a large skillet brown ground beef and cook diced onion with it. Season with garlic salt and Mrs. Dash or salt and pepper.

Add sliced zucchini. Depending on how big the zucchini is and how much you want in the meal, determines how much you use. Just remember that it will cook down smaller.

Add canned tomatoes. If too thick add a little water.

Cover and let it simmer until zucchini is cooked through.

Place layer of crushed soda crackers on top. I like my crackers to have bigger chunks, so I just crush them with my hands.

Add lots of shredded cheese. We like colby jack so that is what I use, but it tastes good with cheddar too.

Once cheese has melted on top it is ready to eat!

No comments: