Well, I suppose today will be the real test to see how Hazel is doing. She's still asleep at the moment so I can't accurately say at this point, but YESTERDAY she was doing amazing.
When I had my tonsils out (granted I was 26 but still...) I thought I did pretty good for having them out when I was an adult. I had heard horror stories and was quite anxious but knew that they needed to be removed. It took me about a week to feel decent again.
Harrison had his tonsils out when he was about 5 and it took him 2 or 3 days. Kids usually bounce back more quickly then adults.
Hazel definitely beat the record. She only needed advil for the pain all day and even then I started waiting until she told me she hurt, because the time she could have more would come and go and she would still be doing just wonderful and would look at me like I was NUTS when I asked her if she needed more medicine.
Sometimes the pain with a tonsillectomy starts out small and then gets worse though, so we'll see. She tends to like the colder things for her throat, and I thought I would too when I got mine out, but the things that felt the best to me were warm things like thin mashed potatoes and thin oatmeal. I know. Yummy. They soothed my throat though so I didn't care.
The best thing about getting MY tonsils out was that I wasn't sick anymore. For almost a year. And I could breathe through my nose again. It was so wonderful! So, if you are an adult and you still have your tonsils and you are sick all the time...I will be the first one to say it is WORTH THE PAIN and definitely worth looking into. I still don't think I have had a strep infection since then, and at the time I would get two or three a year, on top of just feeling yucky a lot of the time.
Hazel can already breath better. YAY! Maybe today I will be able to convince to put on some play clothes and we will go to the park. Maybe. The doctor actually recommended letting her do whatever she felt like doing, so we'll see. She probably would have felt like doing that yesterday! She was up all day and didn't go to sleep until she normally would have so that's all a good sign. :)
3 comments:
i had my tonsils out as a kid and it wasnt any big deal. my mom says she found me in my room just hours after getting home yelling out the window at the neighbor kids because i wanted them to come play with me!
funny thing though...one of my tonsils grew back! apparently that does happen. my great grandmother had hers taken out and when she died she had two tonsils in her throat. my one is kinda big but i havent had any problems so i've never considered having it removed again. but i guess it could happen.
Yeah, if it's not bugging you, there's no point in getting it removed...again... :)
Shane's cousin had hers grow back twice. She had them removed, they grew back and got infected all the time, then had them removed again. Then they grew back again! I don't think she's had any problems this time around.
Our ENT actually still has his tonsils and they are healthy so there is no reason to get them taken out, but he obviously sees a lot of adults who DO need them removed. When I wanted him to remove Harrison's he looked at mine too and told me mine were nasty and needed to be removed.
I had mine out as an adult and I am much healthier as well.
Post a Comment