Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Author

Well, I just finished reading another book by Janette Rallison. I LOVE HER BOOKS! They are so funny. She writes YA (Young Adult) fiction, so there are a few differences in the way things turn out versus an Adult fiction book, but her books are just enjoyable.

No bad language. Nothing questionable, and she is still able to write a funny, quirky, teenage book and has a great writing voice. I know that is HARD for some people to believe when a lot of authors, either because of outside editing "recommendations" or whatever, end up putting things in their books that don't need to be there, or because they think that is what readers want.

Well, I'm sorry, but I DON'T like reading swearwords, or explicit love scenes. This would probably explain why when I go to the library I tend to look for books published by Christian publishing houses. Bethany House, Zondervan, and there are a few others.

Young Adult books are more difficult to characterize that way. I always feel like I am taking a chance when I check one out, but the chances are higher that I will find a good clean book, than if I were to do the same thing in the Adult section of books.

I know I have written about Janette Rallison in a previous book review post (for My Fair Godmother, which is so funny I want to check it out and read it again...)

It is somewhat comforting to me to know that there is an author who has a similar writing style as Meg Cabot, who wrote all the Princess Diaries (which I would NEVER EVER EVER let my daughter read, they are TERRIBLE!! and are supposedly geared toward tweens...) but without all the smut.

Anyway, the latest book I read is called, "My Double Life." It's about a girl who looks almost identical to a celebrity, so she is asked to hire on as her double. It's a cute book, with a nice ending, and I would not be surprised if at some point in the future I decided to buy all of Janette Rallison's books just so I have them in my personal library.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I am always looking for good authors so I will have to read one of her books...thanks for sharing:)