So, on Monday I went to my doctor appointment. I told him about the heart rate thing, and also about the ultrasound.
Because I work in the operating room, he told me that before he completely had me stop working he would like me to try wearing compression socks and drinking as much water as I could in between cases.
I figured it was worth a shot and better than having to go on a super early maternity leave. Plus it made sense that my heart would be working harder if I was dehydrated.
Since Tuesday was my day off, I gave it a shot on Wednesday. Well...that didn't go so well. I wore my compression socks, which are actually quite comfortable even though they aren't that attractive, and since I was floating (basically helping out where needed) it gave me the perfect chance to stay fully hydrated. By 9:30 I had already drank about 30 oz of water. I know that sounds like a lot in a short time but I had been up since 5:30.
Well, things were busy, and I was was busy, but not rushing around the way I normally would because I was trying to keep my heart rate down. It was still at 122. If I had been rushing around I can imagine that it would have been in the 130's or even 140's.
So, I called my doctor's office and told them what was going on. They told me that he recommended that I go home, but if I felt comfortable staying I could as long as I checked my heart rate twice an hour and it DIDN'T go into the 130-140 range. (The only reason I was able to even try and do that was because I was floating. If I had been in a room, it wouldn't really have been possible.)
They also told me that if I wanted to be given a work release from work that he would be willing to do that too, since it wasn't worth the risk to me or the baby, but it was up to me.
So, I decided to try and stay til lunch, after talking to my manager. I almost made it, but by 11:00 I could tell that my body was begging me to lay down. This is usually manifested by my uterus contracting and sometimes being painful. I know. Not good things really.
I also called my doctor's office again and let them know, so I faxed them the paperwork that they needed to fill out.
It's weird for me, because technically I am not on bed rest, there is just no way I can adequately do my job without a lot of consideration, and it's not really fair for anyone at work if I am there and can't really do much.
So, I am just trying to take it easy, and if I feel like I need to rest, I do. I still can't do much, because if I do my heart rate shoots up, but at least I have the option of slowing down to a pace I CAN do things at...like fold laundry. ;)
1 comment:
TAKE IT EASY, Mellie. You rest and keep that baby inside! I love you!
Post a Comment