Friday, May 6, 2011

Tired

What a wild and crazy week this week has been! At work, previously, they were starting to try and not have me come in as much so we could all get used to me being PRN. It was nice, and I was able to rest a lot.

Well, this week, one coworker tech had a family situation (very sad one), and another coworker tech had scheduled vacation time, topped with a very busy surgical schedule...so I worked every day this week.

This was also the week that I was supposed to be on call for the weekend.

Well, my body let me know that it had had it. This afternoon I felt like my heart was racing a little so I checked my pulse on one of the machines and it was pretty high. I told my coworker that also works as an EMT and he was more than concerned for my welfare, and encouraged me to go tell the manager...which I did, and both she, the anesthesiologist and the charge nurse felt like I should go get checked in labor and delivery and just see if my heart rate went down when I laid down, and make sure that the baby was doing okay.

I don't have a problem doing a little more than I should when it comes to prenatal care. If the nurses in labor and delivery get sick of me, then oh well. I don't think they would though. I know that majority of people working in labor and delivery would much rather deal with overprotective patients, then the patients that wait too long and end up with a very sad situation to deal with.

So, anyway, I went and got checked, and everything was fine, and my heart rate was decent. Still, everyone felt like I needed to go home and rest, (which was fine with me, and I agreed with them) and so, one coworker offered to take call for this afternoon until midnight, and the other coworker offered to take call from Saturday morning until Monday, so I can rest and be ready for Monday when we have another big day. I thought it was really nice of them to be willing to cover for me, so now I just have to take call from midnight until 9 AM.

So, it's back to bed for me. I hope the rest will help! :) I will definitely have things to discuss with my doctor at my appointment Monday afternoon though, that's for sure...

3 comments:

darcymae said...

my heart races a lot when i'm pregnant. it will sometimes go WAY high for about 30 seconds when i do something like stand up. or bend over and pick something up. my doc said it wasnt anything to worry about it was sure weird!

Miss Heather said...

Don't EVER apologize for "using" the labor/delivery workers as much as possible! We want to keep your little one in you full-term! You are smart to check with them and lay down and rest. Take it easy, Mellie. :)

Patty B. said...

Good for you! Take it easy when you can! It's a good thing you know your limits. I used to push the limits, but it backfired on me one time and I got sick for a few days. Not any more!
Play it safe!