Sunday, August 22, 2010

Butterflies

Well, today I played a piano solo in church. I don't know what it is about performing a solo...or pretty much anything, but I get SO nervous, especially on my cello and on the piano. I can sing and the adrenaline actually helps, but...anyway. Apparently my piano skills are better than my singing skills because I had SO MANY compliments today! I couldn't believe it!

It was kind of interesting though, I think sometimes people have this misconstrued perception that if you are REALLY GOOD you don't get nervous. I've discovered this more since I became the Music Specialist for my ward.

All I really care about is that people have a desire to share their testimony through music. I mean, I have heard AMAZING musicians sing, perform, but if the testimony isn't there...well, it's good, but not wonderful.

Then, I have heard people with NO MUSICAL TALENT whatsoever, get up there and sing or play or whatever, and you can FEEL their testimony shining out like a beacon. It is so strong I get goosebumps and then I usually start to cry. And that my friends, is all that really matters.

Still, it is difficult to convince people of this, but, oh well. I am determined to get a sign up sheet made to find out all the musical talent in our ward. I don't know if it will help, but I want to find the willing people.

4 comments:

Miss Heather said...

Good job sweet pea!! I'm proud of you!!! :) I'm our designated ward-entertainer... I sing in church about once a month... I sing for two hours during the war Christmas dinner... I sing for the Valentine's Dance... ahhh... and yes, I still get nervous. :)

Salmon Tolman Family said...

what song did you play?
i know what you're saying about the spirit showing itself through music, and sometimes that's when I feel it the strongest.

DaNise said...

I am sure you did great. Good luck with the sign up list. I wish we could get more muscial numbers in sac mtg. We have interm songs all the time! I notice because I am still the organist (almost a 16 yr calling).

Patty B. said...

Sing, play the piano, AND the ward music specialist? Wow! That's great!

You know what bugs me the most? People who DON'T sing in church. I mean, just the hymns! I think you get so much more out of the meetings when you DO sing, it just strengthens you all the more.