I made one of my all-time favorite soups tonight, so I thought I would share the recipe. It is a Greek soup, and my husband and I both like it quite a bit. It is different then soup you would normally think to eat or are probably used to.
Anyway, tonight was a little different because I didn't really go by the recipe directions, and even thought for a moment it wasn't going to turn out, but it really DID turn out anyway! I was surprised.
So, here, in all it's glory is the recipe for Greek chicken lemon rice soup. I will put the recipes first and then tell you what I did different.
Kotosoupa
1 batch Avgolemono Sauce
1 Whole Chicken
1 Whole Onion
1 pinch pepper to taste
1 cup rice or orzo
1 pinch salt to taste
- Place chicken in a large stock pot and fill with enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil and remove the foam.
- Add the onion, salt, and pepper to taste.
- After the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and onion from the pot.
- Add rice or orzo to the broth, and let it boil.
- When the rice or orzo is ready, add the avgolemono sauce.
Avgolemono Sauce
2 whole eggs
2 Tbsp flour
1 whole lemon juiced
1 whole onion
1-2 cup chicken broth
- Mix the flour with the lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Slowly add the broth while continuing to beat.
- Pour and mic the avgolemono sauce into your food.
- Remove from heat before the sauce thickens.
Here's what I did instead. I don't have fresh lemons usually, and I didn't feel like going to the store so I just used the realemon juice that I had in my fridge. I only had about 1/2 cup or so, and so that is all I used. I doubled the other ingredients.
When I made the soup part, I just added it to the lemon sauce...which it tells you specifically NOT to do. Oh well. It worked out anyway. I added two cans of canned chicken, and 2 cans of mushrooms, dried onion, salt, and some Mrs. Dash instead of pepper. Then I added the rice.
If I were to do it again, I would have cooked the rice separate and then added it to the soup...mainly because it got a little scorched on the bottom. Not bad, but I don't like scorching anything. It also thickened up too much before the rice was completely cooked so I added some water and then wondered if I had completely ruined the soup, but after a little while the lemon flavor came out again and tasted really good so it all worked out.
No comments:
Post a Comment