Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alice in Wonderland



We went and saw "Alice in Wonderland" this evening. I actually quite enjoyed it. There are a few things you have to remember when deciding whether you want to see this movie or not...

First, it is a Tim Burton film, which means it is very creative but sometimes a little dark. This movie actually wasn't as dark as some of his other films, and there were a few little quirks here and there, but since it was Alice in Wonderland, it fit right in.

Second, Alice in Wonderland itself is a rather odd story. Shane made the comment afterward that his brain felt all twisted around. I always felt that way when I tried to read Alice in Wonderland, and is probably the main reason why I never finished the book...although I have tried more than once!

This movie actually portrays when Alice goes back, so, I would say it is based more on the story Through the Looking Glass, except she goes back through the rabbit hole instead.

While some of the acting is somewhat odd, it was still really well done. Johnny Depp is perfect as the Mad Hatter, and in typical fashion has some...bizarre moments, but they are fitting to the character. While kind of creepy, one of the best scenes is when he recites the "Jabberwocky" poem. It was eery and cool at the same time.

My kids probably wouldn't like this movie. Yours might. There are some more intense scary scenes in the movie, that if your children are like mine, would cover their faces, or go hide in the hall until the scary part was over.

It kept my attention the whole time, which seems to be somewhat difficult as of late. And I definitely didn't get bored or start looking at my watch wondering when it would finally be over. The special effects are amazing, as well as the computer animation.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Miss Heather said...

I LOVED it but I agree with you. I actually thought it was close to a PG-13 rating, simply because of the heads and the Jabberwocky stuff. I really loved it though. I'm glad you did too!

Patty B. said...

Thanks for your review. We plan to see it as a family and wondered about the "real" people reviews, and not the journalists' reviews.
Thanks again!
Have a great day/week!