Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's a Sign...

So, today went rather well, all things considering. Shane went to the specialist (endodontist), and things went much better than we had anticipated. See, there are bonuses to expecting the worst...when it doesn't happen things seem so much better...hehehe...

Anyway, we went, and after examining his teeth, and looking at them with a super cool microscope, and super detailed digital x-ray pictures of the teeth (this was all WOW, I felt like we were on Star Trek), the endodontist told us that he really felt like there was a high chance that the teeth were salvageable. So, that was good news, and much better than what it could have been.

So, I left while Shane got to have his two teeth worked on for two hours. *joy* I certainly didn't envy him any. The bad news was he would have to get two new crowns. This on top of the fact that he still needs to get some other crowns on other teeth.

Anyway, I mentioned to Shane later that I felt old. The reason being, it used to be no matter what doctor I went to, they were always so much older...now...well, the endodontist we went to is the same age as my brother...so about 33. Then as I thought about it, I realized that all the guys I knew in high school that had decided to go to dental school and med school...are almost finished. My OB/GYN is only about 10 years older than me...maybe younger. It's WEIRD people! WEIRD!

Just one more realization that I am now a part of the "adult" community. My kids are the ones going to school. I'm the one that should be volunteering and being a part of the PTA. Then I see people I went to school with, and their kids are in the same sports as mine. *sigh* Time just goes by way too fast!

3 comments:

Marsha said...

I know what you mean. Scott and I went to the dentist up here, and it turns out that in the office we went to there is the older dentist and then his son working as a dentist too. The son was the one that happened to see us that day, and Scott said that he went to high school with him. Amazing!

Patty B. said...

I agree with the "weird" feeling. A bit awkward, to say the least.
What's even weirder is to have one of your kids work on you, after graduating from dental or medical school, and hope he's trained well enough to make you happy and pain-free (is that possible, pain-free?)
So sorry to hear about crowns...I have several. I wish I weren't that old to have crowns in my mouth!
I love your writing!

Miss Heather said...

Don't you hate those "old" moments? I used to be the youngest one in our immediate group of friends... and now we've made more friends and we are the oldest! It's so weird that I'm older than the "Friends" were when that show first aired. UGH!