
This past weekend I was able to go to my side of the family's reunion. We had a lot of fun! We spent two nights and even with no air conditioning had an enjoyable time. :) On the second day there one of the activities was a "nature hike" by the reservoir. Since I do horribly on any type of hike (hikes+me=overheated...no matter what, even if I'm in shape, even if I drink plenty of fluids...) I decided it would be better if I just stayed back at the reunion site.
My nephew had a book there that he was reading called, "Unwind." It looked interesting, and he didn't mind if I read it so I started to read it. WOW! It was very good. Most people describe it as "disturbing."
For me, it was along the same avenue as "House of the Scorpion," "Hunger Games," and other books that deal with the scenario of, this is the future, and here's what happened to make it that way. What would you think?
The premise of the book involves a coming of terms for the Pro-life and Pro-choice people. Because of a civil war that took place between the two sides, a compromise was agreed on "making both sides happy." The solution...life is started at the point of conception and is protected until a child is 13 years old. Between the ages of 13-18 a child can be "unwound." Sounds weird, but it was very well written, and very enticing to read. I finished it in one afternoon. (Of course I was in speed read mode because I only had one afternoon to read it in!!)
Once the papers have been signed to have a child unwound, the child becomes government property. Of course, being teenagers with minds of their own, and not wanting to be unwound, there are AWOL Unwinds all over the country trying to stay alive until they are 18 years old and considered an adult.
I give it 4 and a half pens. I might have to go buy it for my own library...it was that good...
No comments:
Post a Comment