Saturday, May 16, 2009

Come Ye To The Fair

So, about Tuesday or Wednesday Shane came home from work and asked me if we had plans for Saturday. In my mind I was thinking, "Not yet, and that's okay because our house and yard are in some serious need of attention!"

Then, in a very enthusiastic way, Shane informed me that we DID have plans. He found out about a Renaissance Festival & Fantasy Faire and thought it sounded cool. He proceeded to tell me about how they had a live jousting match. After looking over the website and video, we discovered that if we went dressed up we got 50% off the entrance fee.

So, being the kind wife that I am, I decided to go along with it. Okay, I admit I thought it sounded kind of fun too. The rest of the week was spent finding costumes to dress up in.

Today was the big day. We had our costumes all ready, the kids were excited, so we hopped into the car and headed there, all the while wondering what we were getting ourselves into, and if it really would be worth it.

Well, I was happily surprised, and very entertained. A lot of people were dressed up, and it was interesting to see all the different costumes that people had on. We just thought it would be fun to dress up, but it was quite interesting to see people going all out and acting in character. Kind of like a LARP (Live Action Role Play) would be I suppose (at least, from what I've heard), but not quite. People get very into acting like someone else for a day.

Still, it was enjoyable, the joust was amazing, and the kids had fun for the most part. If I had to pick three things that I enjoyed the most, I would have to say the joust, the old style blacksmith, and...the cannons. There were other things I enjoyed as well, but I enjoyed those the most. My kids on the other hand, enjoyed the camel ride. They got to ride a live camel! It was pretty cool. We took pictures but I haven't downloaded them yet, so maybe later.

I think we enjoyed it enough that we are thinking about going back again next year when they do it.

1 comment:

Eve said...

It sounds like fun! I've never been to a Renaissance Faire! I studied plays and history from the Renaissance, but I've never been to a faire before. I'm glad you were able to go and have fun.