So, I decided it was time to finally write an update about Shane's shoulder. I apologize for those who think I've been writing WAY too much about this topic, but, it's the here and now people, the here and now. :)
Anyway, Wednesday we went to the ortho doc again. Technically it was the first time we met him because the appointment prior to that we met with his physician's assistant. That was fine, because I felt like his PA was very good.
So, anyway. The doc is very nice, very thorough, and a good guy. Still, we waited TWO HOURS in the exam room. I think next time we will take a laptop and watch movies! Once he finally came in though, it was kind of interesting.
He told us that Shane's shoulder injury was a "gray area." He then explained that the bone that broke off was a thin flake of bone, and was in a very good position to heal, but....still, kind of a gray limbo area of do we need to do surgery or not? He told us that if the bone was any closer together, Shane definitely wouldn't need surgery, if it had been any further away, he would have definitely needed surgery.
So, he sent us for an MRI to make sure the rotator cuff isn't torn. If the cuff is torn, Shane will have surgery. If not, the doc wants Shane to wait six weeks to see if it starts to heal on its own and then reevaluate.
The great news in all of this is that if he doesn't need surgery, he can go back to work next week on light duty!! YAY!!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having Shane home all the time. If he could make the income he does working, and make it at home, I would be all for it, but Shane will be the first to tell you that he is going stir-crazy having to baby his arm all day long....well, and dealing with the pain. So, this is wonderful news!!
Next Wednesday we will find out what the verdict is....
No comments:
Post a Comment