Tuesday, March 3, 2009

UTVA update

So, I decided it had been a while since I wrote about how our experience with UTVA is going. Since we had our second parent/teacher/student conference call yesterday, I figured it was good timing to write about it again.

The longer we do this program/school, the more I like it. It does take a little bit to get adjusted to, especially when you are used to doing something else, and doing it differently, but all in all it has been a good transition.

I really like how the teachers are very flexible and willing to work with you, and also answer questions. I had a few questions about Harrison's coursework, and what the expectations of the school were, and I was very pleased. Also, last week Harrison was sick for a few days and all I did was e-mail his teacher letting her know that he was sick and wouldn't be doing the lessons on the lesson plan, and it all worked out fine.

I think for some people it is annoying to feel like you have to account to someone for your everyday dealings, but for me it isn't.

I have heard from other people in UTVA who have students who have health issues, and struggle, and if they were to go to traditional school, would be super far behind, but because they go to UTVA they are able to design a schedule that will work for their student and not overwhelm them. I know that some of the other online state charter schools are more rigid and not flexible at all, but that is not the experience that I have had, or heard with UTVA.

This month we will go on our first outing with UTVA. Since we live fairly far away from our teacher, we are going with another teacher's group. I thought it was neat that that is another way they are flexible. If you want to go on an outing with another teacher, it's no big deal. You just have to e-mail them and let them know that you are going.

A few weeks ago I asked Harrison if he wanted to go back to public school or if he still wanted to do UTVA. It was kind of funny because he told me that he would like to go back to school, but he still wanted to do History, Spanish, Art, etc... with UTVA. When I told him he had to choose one or the other he very quickly said, "homeschool." I am glad that we have found something that challenges him and makes him think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's going so well! It will fun to watch his progress.