So, Saturday we had a pretty fun day... I know I wrote about organizing our office, and that was the productive part of the day, but after that we needed to GET OUT of the house!
So, we went driving around. Sometimes we like to drive in the more rural areas of where we live just to see (well, we were looking at houses that were for sale in the area...no, we're not moving, no, we're not planning on moving anytime soon, but a girl can dream can't she?)
Well, since we were close to where both sets of grandparents live we called them up and found out that the new hospital that was built was having an open house. That sounded fun, so we went! Well, that and we found out that my dad paid money to have my mom's name on a plaque by a door which we thought was pretty cool.
So, we get to the hospital and walk in and start the tour, and the first thing we see is this HUGE bigger than lifesize picture of Shane's sister and her then baby girl.
When we walked back into the emergency room area we found my mom's plaque and it said "In honor of ___________________" and it had her full name. My mom worked as a nurse in the area hospital for around 25 years so, my dad thought she deserved to have the plaque. I thought it was sweet. The nurse that was there to answer questions was one of the nurses that my mom hired 10 years ago to work there and he smiled and told me how more than 25 people had asked him if my mom had passed away.
"They'd look at the plaque and then say to me, 'Oh, I didn't realize she had died! I missed her funeral!" And he would then explain that it said "In honor of" not "In memory of."
We thought that was pretty funny! Maybe we're kinda morbid that way. So, when we went to the labor and delivery area and saw another plaque for a nurse that we knew very well, and she was standing right there, I kinda teased her about it a little...I couldn't help it.
I patted her on the arm and asked her how it felt to be dead. She rolled her eyes and went, "Isn't that just embarrassing!" and then told us that a group of people had been talking to one of the nurses and asked when she had died and they kind of laughed and pointed to the hall and told them that she was standing right there. :)
Maybe you had to be there...or something...
2 comments:
I think that's hilarious. I'd probably think she was dead too!! HA HA HA!
Ha Ha! That is too funny! I forgot that our moms both worked together for so long. Brings back lots of memories!
Post a Comment