Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's Quality, Not Quantity...

So, this has been just psycho crazy time apparently for me. I mean, when was the LAST time I didn't write on my blog for an entire week? Even when I go on vacations I write blogs early and post date them, that's how addicted I am.

Well, last week was rough for me emotionally. It just was. I had a lot of things going on, and a lot of them I wanted to do, but at the same time I didn't. Not to mention the point that my body was sending me confusing signals, and the whole "am I...maybe...possibly pregnant this month?" roller coaster was going in full force. I'm not, just in case you're wondering.

So, Saturday came around, and with it came my dear sweet s-i-l's baby shower. I love my s-i-l, so it's not like it was a horrible thing. I think it's something only people who have struggled with wanting children...and not getting them, can fully understand and appreciate. Baby showers become the epitome of all emotions and things that you DO NOT want to deal with.

I have a hard time with baby showers right now, even on a good day, even when I want to go and be there. So, I was not exactly looking forward to this baby shower. I was helping with it though, or I would have probably bailed. Well, if it hadn't been my s-i-l's.

So, yes, a lot of prayers were said from me before I went. I wanted to have a good time. I didn't want to get offended by what anyone intentionally did or didn't say to me, or by all the baby conversations that would be going on. Or, by what people offhandedly take for granted.

I could still remember the baby shower I went to where two women had just found out they were pregnant...one with their 3rd child, one with their 4th, and they made the comment to each other..."Yeah, your first child you're all excited, your second you're still pretty excited, but by the third, it's like...'no big deal.'"

Yeah. Good times.

I was excited on one point. All my aunts would be there from my mom's family. I love my aunts, and hadn't seen them for a long time. It was great! We talked, and it was just fun.

I was glad I went. What was interesting, was when I was talking to one of my aunts and she made the comment to me... "Doesn't being around all these babies make you baby hungry?" My kind mom was standing next to me, and I think tried to intervene, but it was okay, because...well, it just was. And I just said, "Aunt, we need to talk!" I knew she not only would understand, but she would relate.

This aunt was only able to have two kids as well, and we talked. It was great! She told me the hardest thing for her, wasn't being around people who could have kids, it was being around her friends who would COMPLAIN about being pregnant, yet again. I could relate!

She told me about a saying that our Great Aunt (who also was only able to have two kids) would say to her... "You know, it's quantity, not quality that counts...but with us, it's quality, and not quantity."

I think sometimes we get so caught up in "how many kids do you have?" syndrome, that we forget that each of us are different. Even if we end up having just two kids in our family, what a blessing to have those two kids!

1 comment:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I have two friends that have done fertility treatments. One adopted a child, the other is still trying and trying and trying. I can't imagine how you must feel! But you are right, you are lucky to have your two bright and beautiful children!