Friday, January 9, 2009

We have made it a week... :)

Well, we have successfully completed one full week of homeschool! Yay! And, we are still alive to talk about it. :) No, seriously, it really hasn't been that bad. Already I can see my relationship with Harrison getting better, and even though he had the mega-wiggles today, it was still a good day! His handwriting is improving, and his view of himself is improving too.

I know, you're probably wondering how I can tell that. Well, every day he writes in a journal, which I guess he did at school too. He was able to keep the journal he had for school, and when I read that one, I almost started to cry when I read him writing about how he didn't think he could be a good boy. It was sad! Well, today I finally got him to write in his journal successfully (which is something he struggled with at school too, and I think it was because a journal is a very personal writing based solely on yourself...which he didn't want to think about).

Anyway, today in his journal he wrote, I love being homeschooled, because I am worth being loved. (Part of the other thing I have him doing is reading a self-talk page every day during his reading time, as well as reading out of a book.) So, when I read that, it just made me feel good! I hope it continues to help him think good things about himself.

It has also been a learning experience in that I mean, I knew that a lot of people have this VERY negative image in regard to homeschooling, but it really hit home when I had to go back to the school with Harrison to say goodbye to his teacher and clean out his desk. The teacher was fine. She just wasn't sure if she could let us take the books Harrison had been using or not...(which, mind you, I didn't even mention at all, because, quite frankly, I have my own resources.) So, she sent me to the front office to talk to the principal. Since I am just naive or stupid, I went to the office, and of course the principal was gone, so I talked to the secretary, who prior to this had always been kind of nice. Well...WOW. Talk about a change. I think she seriously thought I was asking if I could take the textbooks. She was acting like I felt like it was DUE to me or something, and that I was trying to take the books.

Anyway, it all came across very rude. And, I think they chewed the teacher out a little too, which is uncalled for. She was just trying to be helpful. Yeah, it's been an eyeopener week, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Miss Heather said...

Just wanted to say YOU ROCK! And keep it up. :)

Jess'n'John said...

sorry the teacher/office didn't react well to the miscommunication on the textbooks. Patience is a virtue. :-) Good job going the homeschooling route! (remember this comment is coming from a former public elementary school teacher!)