Well, I am anticipating a new adventure this next upcoming week! After many prayers and scriptures, I decided...well, of course I collaborated with Shane, so I guess WE decided that what Harrison needed the most right now was some one-on-one time at home. So, for the rest of the school year I am going to home school him. He is doing great academically so, I'm not too worried about that (although, OF COURSE we will be doing academic things) but I'm going to also focus on self-worth, self-image, and positive thinking. Things that we discuss with him, but really haven't been ingrained because he would then go back to school the next day and have it all shot away by negative comments and bullying.
I know what a lot of people think...why would you pull him away from the social side of school? What about being socially involved if that is his problem? And, honestly, we have thought about that. It occurred to me as I was thinking that though, that really, all the socializing he is getting from school is negative and tearing him down (aside from his really wonderful teacher who, really, has been very positive through all the crazy things that have happened).
So what exactly is it that I'm pulling him away from? Being verbally abused every day? Feeling like he is nothing? Being scared to go on the playground because he'll get ganged up on? Getting in trouble because he tells the truth and the other student lies to get out of it? And, when he does go to a teacher and they have a "conference" with the bully's teacher, he's told to "not play that anymore because he just gets beat up?" Yeah, that's a GREAT solution. Gee, that's so tempting to make my 8 YEAR OLD, who is having self-worth problems anyway, have to learn how to deal with.
The other thing I look at, is that he will be socializing in positive ways. He goes to scouts once a week (which he absolutely loves), he goes to church and spends time with kids his age, and he will even go play with kids on his level that are in the neighborhood. Plenty of POSITIVE experiences for him to build on.
So, I am excited, and looking forward to the challenge of this opportunity. It will definitely be a learning experience for both of us, but it is one that I feel will definitely benefit our family.
On a side note, I have already had negative feedback, and frankly, I really don't need anymore "concerned friend/family members" giving me their two cents. If it's positive, great, write away, but if you're just going to tell me how crazy you think I am, or other advice on how you feel we should solve this, then honestly, I really don't need to hear it or read it. :)
3 comments:
You should always do what is best for you and your child. I think it's exciting that you would be willing to do this for him! What a great mom you are! Home schooling can definitely be a challenge, but I think you're ready to take it on and bring some positive change!!! Good Luck Melissa! I'm proud of you!
My mom homeschools Emma and she has done SO MUCH BETTER since being home. I don't think it's for everyone and every child but I'm sure you're making the right choice for Harrison.
I know I'm just a stranger, but I am also a homeschooling mom, and I can tell you that homeschooling is so rewarding for mother and child. There is so much support and so many helpful tools out there-- You can do it!
Just remember to put God first, relationships second, and academics last, and they'll do great! :-)
Post a Comment