So, reading my past few posts, I kind of feel like I give the impression that I am now anti-public school. Well, I'm not. :) I think that everything has a purpose, and what works for some doesn't really work for others. I feel that way about a lot of things.
I kind of liked what my sil told me when I was talking to her about the struggles Harrison was having at school. She said, "Public school can be hard when you don't fit in the box."
I really have to agree with that. Where homeschooling is concerned, I am kind of more in the, if my child wants to be homeschooled, I'll do it. If they want to go back to public school, I'll let them do that too. I just want him to learn and be happy doing it. Before I pulled him from school, he was bored, acting out, being teased and bullied relentlessly. I saw my child literally crumpling before my eyes.
So, homeschooling is working. I think I've mentioned before that I can already see a difference in his behavior. He is more respectful to me, his father, his sister... he is more polite. He is beginning to think more highly of himself.
I do however still agree with the socialization article. If the only reason you are keeping your child in public school is because you are worried what will happen to their socialization skills...well, I guess that's your perogative. I admit that it was one of my hangups too, until I really thought about what he would be missing, and realized it was all the things I didn't want him learning anyway.
1 comment:
Some decisions can be so difficult and what a relief it is to see good results because of it! Sounds like you are doing a great job!
Post a Comment