Saturday, November 22, 2008

Definitely Disappointed

So, yesterday I went and saw the movie Twilight. I was really excited to go and see it...and as with all things that I build myself up for, I was disappointed. I thought they did an OKAY job, but I wouldn't call it wonderful. Granted, that was just after one viewing, but I guess we'll have to see.

I really really didn't like the way they portrayed Edward. I always felt like his character was very sensitive and charming, tinged with the frustration at being in love with a human that literally makes him burn in agony.

Well, the movie totally focuses on that frustration, and pretty much the whole movie Edward and Bella seem to basically hate and loathe each other. "It's complicated" would be a good description.

The dialogue left something to be desired, and a lot of times I was just laughing at the stupid phrases they had to say. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Singing in the Rain" when Gene Kelly's character asks if he can just say in the talking picture what he said in the silent picture..."I love you, I love you, I love you..." and the audience is laughing hysterically because it sounds so stupid. Yeah, there were a lot of dialogue moments like that.

Still, a part of me wants to watch it again just to make sure. I tend to be that way about some movies and some books...so, we'll see. Maybe I will grow to love the movie. Maybe.

3 comments:

Sondra said...

I feel relieved after reading your post... I had a really tough time when I saw Twilight.. I thought I was ready to expect anything without having high hopes... but I guess I did have too high of hopes and was really disappointed when I saw it... I have already gone a 2nd time and it was better the next time around- but I still struggle with the quality and flow of the movie and all the parts they left out. I'm still Twilight obsessed but hope they do better on the rest of the books.

Anonymous said...

You NEED the book to make this movie. Yeah, the movie was okay, but everything they left in means more when you have the background provided in the books. I went to the show with the attitude that "the movies are never as good as the books." One of my friends that had not read the books went to the movie and the next day came to borrow my books.

Melissa said...

See, okay, I don't know if I totally agree with the "you need to read the book statement," and I say that, merely because a lot of people that absolutely LOVE this movie, have not READ the books!

I think I read them too many times to look at the movie objectively, which I am usually able to do quite well, but this time it was a bit much, even for me.

For me, really, while a bit of it has to do with the "not being as good as the book" the bigger part has to do with the fact that I felt like the acting was choppy, the dialogue between characters was stilted and uncomfortable.

I like movies that I go and watch and I feel like I am just watching a conversation that seems like it is taking place right then and I am the fly on the wall taking a part of it. To me, this movie had a big problem with the whole, gelling together as a whole, factor.