Sooo, this is where I admit that unlike my mother, m-i-l, and s-i-l, I hate to sew. HATE IT! I will do most anything to not sew. This doesn't include quilting. Quilting and sewing are two separate things. I'm talking about clothes. I HATE sewing clothes. I'm guessing this is because when I was in middle school and learning how to use a sewing machine every single stinkin thing I sewed invariably fell apart a few months later. Sure, you could blame the fabric, or my less than perfect sewing skills, but regardless, the enthusiasm I had for making something, GONE.
Well, usually I either a) have my s-i-l or m-i-l make a costume for me (which in Harrison's case was vitally necessary since from the time he could speak and have an opinion he wanted to be a Jedi complete with robe, tunic, etc... we even had to make a larger costume because he outgrew the first one...much cheaper to make at home) or b)buy a costume from wally-world or some other store with costumes. Usually this is a fine solution. USUALLY. This year? Not so much. Harrison wants to be a ninja and Hazel wants to be Tinkerbell, which can be loosely translated into anything with wings and a fluffy skirt...preferrably green.
When I go to the store and the costumes look worse than something that I could make, I know there's a problem. So, I have hit the internet sites. I think I have it narrowed down to what ninja costume to get for Harrison (all he really cares about are the weapons...total boy thing), but Hazel and the tinkerbell costume are really bugging me. How do I know that it doesn't look totally cheezy? I mean, there's only so much you can tell from a picture. The main point being that I really don't want to pay $20+ for a costume that looks like it's maybe worth $5. Ugh.
Costumes that I see on the internet that look all nice and actually fairly cute, I have seen firsthand at the local stores and they are neither nice nor cute. The store where I found both the costumes had outrageous shipping prices. Sorry, but I REFUSE to pay over fifteen dollars for the shipping of two costumes.
So, I will probably go with a site that has the ninja costume we want and a decent fairy costume...hmm, guess I'll have to let Hazel pick out the one she likes. She can be very opinionated and stubborn (NO idea where she got THAT from...)hehehe...
2 comments:
buycostumes.com usually has free shipping... especially if you search for a coupon code for it via google before you finish your purchase. :o)
Thanks for the tip! Their shipping is very reasonable too, even without the coupon. For two costumes it would only cost $5 to ship, but hey, free is better! :)
Post a Comment