Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Once a band member....always a band member...or at least a spectator



Last night we had the opportunity to go and see a field show competition. Well, I guess technically it was a "judged exhibition." Meaning, that they received comments from the judges but no placement, which equals no winners or losers.

Still, it was fun, and we got to see most of the high school bands perform. We didn't get to see the humongo bands from Davis, Mountain Crest, and American Fork, but that was purely because our little kiddies needed to be home in time for bed.

Shane and I were both in the Bear River High School marching band and color guard when we were in high school, so it is still fun for us to go to the high school competitions and see what they are all doing. It is also interesting to see programs swell and grow, and likewise shrink and sometimes disappear. Bear River's marching band really started to shrink after Shane and I graduated (yup, it's all because we left....just kidding). Then when they got a new band director they didn't have marching band at all, and that was just sad to see.

The past three years have been amazing to watch though. Three years ago the band students decided amongst themselves that They wanted marching band, and with parent support, and NO band director, did it themselves. Then our fellow classmate, Wade Walton, finally graduated in music education, and got the job. A new color guard advisor was put in. WOW WOW WOW. I haven't seen the band and color guard look and sound this phenomenal for years. Last year they looked great. This year they look great. The color guard is HUGE! Seriously just amazing. If you go to a Bear River football game you will see them perform. Or, you could be band geeks like us and go to a field show competition like we do. I told Shane it made me want to go to one of the other competitions just to see how they place. So, we may actually do that....plus we didn't get to see how the BIG bands did. Well, I should say, we didn't get to see their performance, because I'm sure they did amazing as always.

1 comment:

M and M said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time! So fun to keep up with you in between our family get togethers. Love ya!