I've been rereading a book called "The Mozart Season." I read it back when I was in high school. I was at the library today and saw it, so I figured it was time to read it again! Anyway, a girl is memorizing a concerto by Mozart for a competition. Her teacher arranges to have her play the concerto as a fill-in with a community orchestra, and describes to her the differences between playing with a professional symphony and a community one. I really liked one of the descriptions though, because it is so true!
"All these people are genuine amateurs. They play because of that thing inside them, that impulse telling them to. Where they're different from you is that they spend most of their lives not being musicians. Many of them studied as children and then put their instruments aside. They're very humble usually. They don't have to be told they're not perfect; they know it all too well."
No comments:
Post a Comment