Well, it's a sign...I'm officially a full-fledged adult now. How else can I explain the excitement that comes from getting a new furnace put in my house! I mean, come on!! Of course....I always did like the show "This Old House" when I was growing up...maybe that explains it.
Here's the interesting thing though. Initially when we had the water leak through our basement ceiling, I was bummed. What a mess! And then, the hole just sat there, and...stayed. Then we found out we had to get a new furnace, and the furnace guys are fully utilizing the hole in our basement ceiling! It made their job easier! So, I guess there are blessings even in the things that we initally don't think are that great.
Kind of reminds me of one of my all-time favorite books ever... "The Hiding Place." Seriously, even if you don't like reading about WWII, this book, makes you realize how you can be grateful even in the most aweful of circumstances. One of the chapters in the book, Corrie's sister is praying and thanks God for the fleas. Corrie is appalled. How could Betsie be thanking God for the fleas! They're horrible and annoying! They bite their skin! Betsie gently reminds Corrie that they are supposed to be grateful for everything. Corrie goes away troubled and still thinking that there is no way they can be grateful for fleas.
A couple of months go by and they notice that they have been able to read sections of their smuggled in bible uninterrupted. They don't have checks in their quarters. What could be going on? The fleas. The guards wouldn't go into the bunkhouses because of the fleas. Corrie realized that her sister had been right. The fleas had been a blessing, and she was right to be grateful and thank God for the fleas.
So yeah, I am definitely thankful for the hole in my basement ceiling...and very very grateful that for some reason I could smell gas and had the Questar guys come to check out my stove. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if they hadn't and we had fired up our furnace this fall.
1 comment:
The Hiding Place is a great book. Glad you will have heat this winter! :-)
Post a Comment