Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Benefits of Teaching...

It has been interesting for me to have a calling in Young Women. I am the Beehive advisor and it has been one of the most awesome callings that I have ever had. It has also been a very growing experience for me.

One of the neatest things for me has been teaching the lessons...which really is what my calling is. In our Young Women program there are two leaders for each age group. The counselor is a part of the Young Women presidency, and the advisor is the one who teaches the lessons.

Anyway, lately the lessons have been so thought provoking for me. I don't know if my Beehives really comprehend the lessons that they are being taught...I mean, speaking as a former Beehive many many moons ago, I don't really remember all that much about being a Beehive. Most of my Young Women memories are from when I was a Miamaid and a Laurel. Knowing that, my main goal for them is to have them feel the Holy Ghost when I teach and help them gain their own testimony of the Gospel.

Either way, lately the lessons have just really..I mean, wow. It's like when you are going through a difficult time and suddenly everything seems to be speaking to you through the Holy Ghost. The Ensign will have all the articles that seem specifically tailored to your problem and the scriptures will just literally talk to you. Well, that is what my lessons have been like lately. The one for this week is on Obedience, and it has the most amazing quotes in it. So amazing, that I just had to share them with you.

"Whatever God requires is right, no matter what it is, although we may not see the reason thereof till long after the events transpire."
--the Prophet Joseph Smith


"May we not conclude that obedience, in and of itself, is a source of power...? Man can achieve naught of excellence in matters material or spiritual except through the exercise, utilization, of that supreme form of energy, obedience."
--James E. Talmage


"There is a still small voice telling us what is right, and if we listen to that still small voice, we shall grow and increase in strength and power, in testimony and in ability not only to live the gospel but to inspire others to do so.
"My most earnest prayer is that every man and every woman will get it into his and her heart that they are in very deed the architects of their lives."
--President Heber J. Grant

No comments: