Thursday, June 19, 2008

Was the $1.00 movie worth it?

So, our local movie theatre has summer matinees for kids that are a dollar a ticket. They change the movie every two weeks. Last week it was "Are We Done Yet." Sound familiar? If it doesn't ring any bells, that's for a VERY good reason.

Apparently when it's hot outside I don't know how to count, because I thought it was supposed to be "Alvin and the Chipmunks." I got the kids all excited to go to a movie, told them that under no uncertain terms would we be getting popcorn and drinks, and we headed to the theatre.

I made two mistakes. 1. In thinking it was supposed to be a movie that is sort of cute and somewhat funny, and 2. In telling my kids that we wouldn't be getting something that I sort of wanted to. I was hungry!

So, we got to the theatre, and when I found out it was the other movie, I was disappointed, but figured it couldn't be THAT bad, so decided to go to it anyway. Then, because I knew I had enough cash, I decided to get some popcorn and a drink to share amongst ourselves. This was a BAD idea. The whole time Hazel HAD to have the drink right next to her chair, and Harrison kept wanting a drink, of course, and Hazel would get upset because the drink wasn't in her drink holder.

Then, when the drink was empty Harrison wanted to go out and get a refill (which he could have done since we got the Large combo which includes one refill on the popcorn and drink.) When I told him NO, he immediately tried to use the "I have to go to the bathroom" excuse, which was amazingly convenient timing don't you think? So, I put my "mean mommy" skills in to play and told him that he could decide how badly he needed to go, because if he did go, we would NOT be coming back to any of the other summer matinees. Wouldn't you know, he suddenly didn't have to go anymore?

*sigh*
Aside from that, the movie was painfully stupid. I don't think I could have even watched it at home. Granted it did have a few funny spots, but most of the humor was just beyond cheesy, and the morals that they did try to include just fell flat and were quite misguided and stupid. In other words, I felt like ripping my hair out and screaming. So, it was not a surprise to me that Hazel couldn't sit still. I mean, criminy, I didn't feel like sitting still either!

So, I guess technically I need to take them to "Alvin and the Chipmunks." That won't be so bad, it's a pretty cute show. However, under no uncertain terms will we be getting popcorn and a drink! :)

No comments: