It's been an interesting summer. I think I've learned a lot. A lot more than I thought I would. Most of it has been about pride.
I like to think that I'm a pretty forgiving person.
Then something happened, and I got very upset and offended. I could go off on how I felt certain things, people did certain things, certain happenings were going on that added to my stress level immensely and made me more prone to getting miffed, but, the point in all this...I got mad, someone hurt me emotionally, and it was bad.
Admittedly, you could look at both sides and go, well yeah, I can see why that bugged you. Both sides. At some point you have to decide, how important is this to me, and is it worth it? Is it worth a break in the relationship to where you don't see that person for years? For some people, and for some things, the answer may be yes.
This time, this happening...not worth it.
I was holding a little grudge in my heart, that wasn't helped by the fact that there was a legitimate reason for feeling bad.
Then I was talking to someone one day, and they said something that made me a little annoyed, in regards to the whole situation. Initially I was a little perturbed. Then I stopped, and I just thought, what is wrong with me?? Am I now going to be offended by everything everyone says to me? Is it worth that much to me over somethings so small?
At that moment I just said NO. Literally in that instant I let the pride go. Almost immediately all the hurt, negative, mean feeling disappeared. Gone. Poof. A weight had been lifted. It was then that I realized how hard I had been holding on to the negative feelings that I was having.
What a relief to have that weight gone! Then I was left with the thought of, "What do I do now? How do I fix this?"That one has been a little more slow in coming, but it has been helpful to have Shane give me ideas and tips. It's been very nice.
The most wonderful thing though, is the peace I feel in my heart.
Another interesting thing, is how I've noticed how many memes there are that say something to the affect of "I'm learning to let go of the negative people in my life and walk away..." Initially I think I thought something like, yes, letting go of negative things is a good thing. However, there are times in our life when it is important to not walk away. It's important to try and improve that relationship so it's not negative, to let go of our pride, and realize that no one is perfect and if someone has done something that is hurtful, it is not a terrible thing to try to work through it and get a stronger relationship at the end. Just food for thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment