Monday, June 15, 2015

Music Lessons

Since school has been out, I have been teaching Harrison and Hazel how to play the piano again. I've also been working with them on the viola and violin. I have a hard time paying for music lessons when most of the things they would be learning I could teach them myself. I find that when I teach my kids, I have to go in a different mode, and I also have to do things differently for each one.

For Hazel, I have to be super ultra positive about everything. She has a really difficult time if I just tell her what to fix. (hmm....sounds like me....)

Harrison is good at taking what I say and applying it.

On the piano this will be the third year I have attempted to teach them. :) Maybe four where Harrison is concerned. Still, this year has gone much better than the other years that I tried. I think a lot of it has to do with the music class they've had at school. Now I am just building on what they have already learned.

I think my style of teaching music has a lot to do with proper technique, musicianship, and theory. You would think that all teachers teach this way but they don't.

Harrison is advanced enough on the viola, that I wouldn't mind having him take lessons from an actual viola teacher. Still, much of what he'd be learning, I teach him. 

This summer has been very encouraging though. Hazel is doing really well, and I think we might even finish a book and start on level two before the summer is out. That is exciting stuff!! It is very invigorating to see my kids starting to progress in music, especially on the piano. I love it!

It is also nice to have something that they can work on every day.

Now if I could just improve their handwriting....

No comments: