Monday, February 9, 2015

Hanging On

I'm ready for all my kids to be healthy at the same time...okay, I'm ready for everyone to be healthy at the same time!

It has been a roller coaster of illness around here, but thankfully, none of it has been influenza.

Emmett has still been grumpy, especially since his antibiotic ran out, which made me wonder if he needed to be seen again.

Then Harrison woke up this morning and told me it hurt really bad when he breathed in an out. Yay!

I didn't think it was anything super serious, but when your 14 year old is telling you the pain level is an 8 or 9 when they are laying down, you begin to wonder what is going on.

When Shane came home, he wondered if maybe Harrison needed to have his back adjusted, but the pain was coming in waves, so I wondered.

In the end, I ended up taking him to the doctor Shane and I go to, since the pediatrician was 100% booked, and he would have to be seen in the night clinic. I didn't want to wait that long.

Our doctor thought he might have pleurisy, which is an inflammation of the lining of the lung. He prescribed him prednisone, which is a steroid. Common practice.

So, we went and got the prescription filled. Since you are supposed to take it with food, we stopped at home and got some food to eat. I guess the pills look like chewables because Harrison chewed the pill. Blech! Of course that worried me because I knew you weren't supposed to chew them, so I called the pharmacist and found out that although super nasty tasting, it shouldn't be harmful (although he didn't recommend chewing them anymore...lol).

Anyway, then I had a few errands to run, and then the thought occurred to me that I should take Harrison to our chiropractor and just make sure that there wasn't a rib out that was causing the pain.

Off to the chiropractor we went. Nothing was out on the front, but when he had Harrison turn over, there was a rib out. So, he adjusted him, did another adjustment, and presto change-o, the pain was immediately gone.

Since we were there, the chiropractor adjusted Emmett too, so hopefully his ear will drain and he will be happy again! After he got adjusted and we were back in the car, Emmett was humming in the back seat. I think because he could hear again!

After this experience I always think to myself, why didn't I start at the chiropractor and go from there?! It would have saved me money. Oh well.





No comments: