Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Primary

I have been wondering what to write about for a while. I guess the writing bug just isn't in me these days.

So, I'm just going to be real here. My church calling is Primary. I teach the 7 year olds. They are hilarious. I told Shane that I must have angels helping me, because they say some pretty mean things. I can't tell if they mean to be mean, or if they are just seven, but it doesn't really phase me. Prior to now, it would have phased me. It would have made me depressed and sad and feeling like I was failing. Now, it just rolls off my back and I seriously just laugh at them. I think some of them maybe think I'm not a very nice teacher. I don't know that for sure.

My other class liked it when I made them badges, and puzzles, and handouts, and it was fun to prepare them for them. This class, the badges inevitably get ruined before we even make it out of the classroom, The handouts (which usually say something like Choose the Right) get colored into superheroes, and other assorted things, which, wow, talk about creative! One child's favorite crayon is the black one. I think I am going to have to buy more black crayons... the puzzles get pasted to their heads. It's quite a rambunctious group to say the least.

Every lesson I've taught, there is a spot where we are supposed to go over a song. If they know the song they are supposed to sing. This is great for me because I love singing, right? My other class liked it when I sang. This class doesn't. They've even told me, "we hate to sing!" I said, "Too bad, I'm going to sing anyway!" I also told them that they were really going to dislike my class because I sing ALL THE TIME. And, it's true, I do! I sing even though 3 of the 5 kids plug their ears while I do it. So I stop, and then when they put their hands down I start up again!

One of them asked me if their class was the worst class I'd ever taught... I told them no. I meant it. I have taught all assorted ages. 7 years olds telling you your lessons are boring is a lot different than 11 year olds telling you that you're lessons are boring. Of course, I guess I have a different mindset. The thought that goes through my head these days, is "You never know what they will pick up on and hang on to." You aren't in this calling for you. You are in it for them. That helps.

They also asked me if I was EVER going to bring treats. I told them that I only bring treats to reverent classes, and they would have to earn them. After saying this, another child in the class gasped and said, "Man, we are NEVER going to get treats!"

It's been quite an interesting experience that's for sure. The most interesting for me though, is I just feel at peace. I don't feel frustrated that they aren't listening, or that they say things that aren't very nice, or all the other craziness that is going on, I just kind of go, huh, take a cleansing breath and move on...and try not to laugh sometimes because of the things they say or the answers that they give to questions.

All I can say, is it's going to be an interesting year!

No comments: