I have always been one that seems to feel the Spirit most strongly when listening to music. When I was younger, it was hymns that helped me gain a testimony of Jesus Christ. It was religious music that told me and helped me gain an understanding that I am a daughter of God, and that I am loved.
So, it is no surprise to me, that hymns seem to help me still in times when I feel sorrow, in times when I long for peace, and in times when I pause to reflect on things in my life.
This hymn, however, is one that I always think of as bringing pure light and sunshine to my soul. Rejoice! What a positive word that is. Rejoice the Lord is King!
It make my heart light and brings a smile to my face. Then, to listen to it with music...pure bliss.
In Psalms 32:11 we read: Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.
The words to the hymn were written by Charles Wesley, who was an English leader of the Methodist movement.
I love the words:
1. Rejoice, the Lord is King!
Your Lord and King adore!
Mortals, give thanks and sing
And triumph evermore.
Your Lord and King adore!
Mortals, give thanks and sing
And triumph evermore.
[Chorus]
Lift up your heart! Lift up your voice!
Rejoice, again I say, rejoice!
Lift up your heart! Lift up your voice!
Rejoice, again I say, rejoice!
Lift up your heart! Lift up your voice!
Rejoice, again I say, rejoice!
Lift up your heart! Lift up your voice!
Rejoice, again I say, rejoice!
2. The Lord, the Savior, reigns,
The God of truth and love.
When he had purged our stains,
He took his seat above.
The God of truth and love.
When he had purged our stains,
He took his seat above.
3. His kingdom cannot fail;
He rules o'er earth and heav'n.
The keys of death and hell
To Christ the Lord are giv'n.
He rules o'er earth and heav'n.
The keys of death and hell
To Christ the Lord are giv'n.
To me, this is such a positive and inspirational hymn of hope and light. "His kingdom cannot fail:" In some ways the words are so simple, but they bring such cheerfulness to my heart. They remind me why I have a testimony of Jesus Christ, why I believe he is the Savior for us all, and why we have hope that we can return to be with our Heavenly Father again.
No comments:
Post a Comment