Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Scouting

My oldest son went to his first scout camp this week. It has been interesting to have him gone. He is one of my biggest helpers! :)

Before he left, we had a talk with him though. He is just a few months shy of being 13. We talked to him about scout camp, what it would be like, and the importance of following the rules at all times. We told him that he would be in the wilderness, and that scouts got hurt or died when they didn't follow the rules. Not on purpose, but because accidents are much more likely to happen.

I guess another scout at a different location just died last night. Very saddening to me. I was somewhat perturbed about something my friend wrote though. It's her opinion, and she can have it, just like I can have mine. Her opinion was that she was glad she decided not to let her son be in scouts because there always seems to be someone getting killed.

I was thinking about it, and let's put it into perspective a little... taking from the scout page on the internet... there are over 30 million scouts all over the world. 30 MILLION. In the United States there are over 3.5 million scouts. Odds are there are going to be accidents, there are going to be fatal accidents, with that many scouts. It's just reality.

Reading the manuals and rules for adults and youth, they do everything possible to make sure that the activities are as safe as possible. Still, there is a risk. There is a possibility that something could happen.

Just like if you get into your car today and drive, there is a risk/possibility that you will get hurt or die.

Should I let that possibility keep my son from having great learning experiences?

Why don't they write stories about all the good things that scouting does? Rarely do you hear about the service projects, which are many, or how different experiences help them learn different things.

When I was in high school, one of my friends died while on a varsity scout high adventure trip. They had gone to the grand canyon. It was hotter than normal that year, and some of the scouts hadn't brought enough water. My friend died from heat exhaustion/heat stroke because he shared his water with others, leaving him with not enough water for himself.

This was a group of experienced scouts. Unexpected things happen. Sad things.

Unlike my friend though, I still think that scouting teaches important things, and that the risks are worth it.

No comments: